On the night of June 14, Indian Army 21 (Special Forces) troops Thingtu Nemu, 35, were killed in the town of Kongsa in the Changlang district of Arunachal Pradesh, in alleged anti-terrorist operations. The village is on the border between India and Myanmar.
The next morning, the army issued a statement saying that it had mistakenly killed Thingtu NGemu, the caller as a “wrong identity.” The statement said:
“Army troops had ambushed that particular area because of their difficult intelligence regarding the movement of a group of hardcore terrorists. It was during this period that the person who died, went into ambush and was challenged , He made very suspicious moves and rushed to the ambush, forcing them to open a shot that would cause a fatal injury. ‘C’ is a case of mistaken identity. ”
While the army version meant that there was a provocation behind Thingtu NGemu and that he had “suspicious motions and rushed to the ambush,” relatives of the deceased and other residents of Kongsa dispute the claim.
Rajesh Singpho, a father, said Thingtu NGemu spent the night in search of Tuwang NGemu, a village elder who had left his factory in the afternoon and did not return since. Thingtu said NGemu was accompanied by seven others when he was shot. The rest survived and recounted the sequence of events in their statement, he said.
Roitun Taikam, a member of the panchayat, was corroborated. He said: “As it was a Wednesday, the weekly heat day [local market], Tuwang went in the morning to rip leaves paan [betel] When he did not come back that night, his family.concerns and children are sent to look for him.
The plantation where jhum Tuwang NGemu worked, said Taikam was a 15-20 minute walk from the city. When he left the plantation, he was stopped by the Army parachutists, who did not release despite repeated requests, said Taikam.
The eight men then started looking for Tuwang NGemu at 10 o’clock. “They approached the region, calling it by its name aloud,” said Singpho. “They have clearly demonstrated that they were civilians of the people in search of a lost old man, but the soldiers opened fire without warning.”
Taikam said Thingtu NGemu died on the spot. “Even after the ball has hit Thingtu, they have not stopped shooting,” he said. “The other guys were lucky enough to survive.”
And he added: “Thingtu was shot only 30 meters from the paratroopers have night vision goggles and all the boys had flashlights, but opened fire. Is this how a professional army ..?”
The army, however, was next to the statement issued the day after the incident. Speaking to Scroll.in, his public relations Lieutenant Colonel Guwahati, Suneet Newton, said: “The original statement is based on empirical facts and the actual sequence of events on the ground.” He said that an internal investigation was commissioned by the military In the incident.
When asked if the Army intended to compensate the deceased’s family in any way, the officer said it was not within the mandate of the force to do so. Changlang police, the head of Amit Sharma, said a case had been registered at the local police station Namtok based on a complaint filed by the woman Thingtu NGemu, but refused to disclose the charges that the policy provided support. “It’s not going to be fair for him to reveal at this stage,” Sharma said.